Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

11 September 2010

Little Women

I watched classics when I was little, more than current cartoons. The version of Little Women from 1949 was one of my favorites, and I will have it ready (on Blu-Ray!) for my little girl.

Starring Elizabeth Taylor, June Allyson, Janet Leigh, Margaret O'Brien, Mary Astor, and Peter Lawford. This version took a few liberties with the story, the most notable being the reverse of ages in Beth and Amy. Beth is a year older than Amy, but in this film Beth is portrayed as the youngest.

One of my favorite scenes occurs after the Lawrence party above- the girls are all in bed talking, and Amy is eating the most yummy looking petit fours- which she eventually shares with Beth before affixing the clothespin to her nose. How she managed to remain still all night to keep the clothespin on is something I used to wonder about.

June Allyson as Jo is the perfect image for me. She has a masculinity about her but is also beautiful and very intriguing. Her relationship with Laurie isn't as intimate as in the book but his attraction is very believable in Allyson.

My favorite sister was always Meg because I thought Janet Leigh was really beautiful. Her hair, her voice, her clothes were all lovely to me. A fascination for hoop skirts and Civil War-era fashion was born from watching Little Women. And as the lone girl in a family of boys, a story about four sisters was enchanting.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for your recommedations regarding working out - I should definitely try The Firm, one of my friends also does it and loves it! I am finding that I like being an at-home exerciser... especially b/c I love multi-tasking so it is nice to be able to throw in a load of laundry and get a work out in at the same time and I think it will be especially nice when the baby comes because then I won't feel guilty about running off to the gym... I love the idea of baby and me classes - I will definitely look into them - thanks for the tips!!!!

    As for the prenatal yoga workouts, that is what I thought as well... I did find a few prenatal classes offered at a local hospital that has a hollistic center but the class times are not idea for my work schedule :/ I may keep looking to see what the yoga studios offer around here... hopefully I will find something :)

    We actually went for the ultrasound on Friday and decided that we want to be surprised, although it is so hard knowing we could find out haha... although at our appointment, they said the baby was so active that we probably couldn't have found out anyway so that was kind of funny!

    I am loving reading your blog because it shows me what is to come in the next couple of months :) I am so excited for you - 10 weeks to go, that is so exciting... Bill and I cannot wait... we keep saying we can't wait to meet the baby now, so I hope my second half goes as fast as yours is going :)

    By the way, I love the furniture you have gotten for the baby - it looks like the perfect nursery :) I love the wall color and the white furniture, perfect for a little girl!

    ReplyDelete